06 December 2011

Accordion at 4, love at first squeeze

It's true I played the accordion when I was 4 years old. My two older brothers, "Skeets" and Rick, were 12 and 8 when I was born. They were already playing the accordion and performing, when I was 2 years old I became part of the family 'act' and right out on stage I went introduced as 'our big sister'. Needless to say it was kind of cute as I played the first three notes of 'Silver Bells' on a tiny toy piano, my brothers would then finish the piece and I'd take my bow.
When I turned 4 I'd had enough of the toy piano and xylophone type of instruments and simply asked, "Where's MY accordion"! My parents wanted me to play anything but the accordion (we already had two in the family) but I would not back down. They came up with an 8 bass for me to play and I've never stopped playing. My parents raised three professional accordionists.

No comments: